Friday, September 6, 2019

VRRP priority question

Hi,

I had some issues after installing new switches behind a firewall cluster recently. Previously the site had 1 main fiber router and 1 backup 4G router connected to an unmanaged switch talking VRRP.

For some reason I seemed to get loops in my mclag topology after connecting cables from both switches, and after this I simply connected the devices in a more simple manner - with cables connected from only 1 switch to the 2 routers (no LAGs involved). Still internet seemed flaky, and I checked packet captures for VRRP which seem to show both routers are advertising a priority of 100. I read from some juniper KB article that the higher device IP address should take precedence after this. I disconnected the backup router and everything has worked fine since.

I think maybe the ISP that installed these maybe forgot to save a priority change on the master fiber router, causing the 4G router to become active (and that router probably has a crappy internet connection from the basement). Or is equal VRRP priorities normal for such an ISP ha router setup? The routers on the site are huawei. Any ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment