Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Virtual machines unable to ping host server

I recently replaced my small business's old Cisco switch with a managed FortiSwitch. I did the requisite rejigging of network interfaces on our gateway (FortiGate) to set things up as "one big switch" - as was the case with the Cisco.

All physical hosts can talk to each other without issue, including communicating with a number of virtual machines I have hosted on our Primary and Secondary (Windows Server 2016) domain controllers. My issue is that the (Hyper-V) VMs themselves can't ping their host servers (they can ping each other though). Interestingly, one VM on one host can ping the other host (of the other vm's).

I feel like this would have to do with how the Virtual Switch is configured, however, I haven't changed it from default external setup.

Windows firewall has been turned off on host servers and virtual machines.

What am I missing here? Any help would be massively appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment