Thursday, September 19, 2019

Standalone single 4500-X (non-VSS) to VSS pair conversion

I have a question/sanity-check request regarding this project. I would like to make sure my plan is sound and/or possible.

Background-

I have a single 4500-X switch currently running as a non-VSS device. We are needing to add a second 4500-X to run as a VSS pair with this current device. I need to minimize the downtime getting this setup as much as possible - very critical infrastructure.

Plan -

Once the new device is received, upgrade firmware/software and configured VSS. Migrate the existing switch config over to this new device, rack it and move the existing cables to this new device. Once everything is verified good and functional, wipe the config off the old device, upgrade firmware/software and configure for VSS, plug into running switch.

Questions -

Can I configure the new device as a new VSS member and get it up and running without yet plugging in the other device? Once I connect the second device, will all configuration automatically duplicate/convert over to the second unit without any further downtime/reboots/etc.?

Anyone go through this process before? Any issues/caveats? I'm aware of the requirement to match model, port counts, licensing, modules and firmware. Just want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment