Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Question about S/FTP grounding.

Hello,

I am currently practicing for my CCNA in College. In the test lab environment we have full size modular server racks that are mounted to the ground. The racks consist of Cisco 2960 routers and 3560 L3 switches and firewalls that I'm aware of.

Due to the fact that some of the clips are starting to wear and get stuck in physical ports, I was looking at upgrading my cable kit. So I jumped the gun and ordered LINKUP S/FTP shielded CAT7 cables (I'm fully aware of CAT7 not being a official standard). My question is in regards to the shielding. Considering the environment in which these cables will be used. Should I be concerned about grounding and crosstalk? The cables I purchased are only 3FT and 7FT long.

After purchasing the cables I did some more research and found that if S/FTP cables are not grounded properly then its possible for the shielding to act as an antenna which can cause packet loss.

I'm wondering if the fact that the server racks are bolted to the floor if that is considered grounding? These S/FTP cables are still a lot cheaper than the cable kits available via Book Store for $90 which only includes 6 cables + a console cable.

UPDATE: Can anyone provide an example of a situation where your network would be considered not grounded? I'm just really confused about the grounding part.

Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment