Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Office LAN Network only transferring at 100 Mbps

Forgive me for my ignorance, I'm not a networking professional.

I've discovered that the network at my office seems to be capped at 100 mbps. However, it appears that the hardware in the server room support gigabit speeds and the cables running into the ceiling that are distributed to the different offices are cat 5e cables. What's weird is that the switch that I have my NAS plugged into in one of the offices has an LED indicator that shows that it's running at gigabit speed but, but when I monitor the transfer speeds from my PC it's only running at 100mbps. How do switches determine how to light up the LEDs? How accurate is it? Ie, if all the cabling were only cat5 but the cable running from the switch to the NAS were Cat5e, would the switch's LED be smart enough to know that it's limited to 100 mbps?

I've tried transfering files from our file server to my computer, from my computer to my NAS, and from another employees computer to the file server and all cap at 100 mbps.

I'm sure there are a million things it could be but it seems that the least feasible to fix would be bad wiring in the ceiling so I'm trying to rule that out. Any advice is appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment