Thursday, September 26, 2019

Multicast question: How is this working?

We are undergoing a data center refresh at my company and are running multicast on one of the devices that's going to be decommissioned. This device is the rendezvous point (RP). As I've begun reading about PIM-DM, PIM-SM, and BIDIR-PIM in preparation for the multicast change, I've come to believe the current topology is either working by accident or b/c a half-baked BIDIR-PIM setup ends up behaving like PIM-SM.

Can any multicast pros corroborate this? I'm about to read RFC 5015 to see whether this is explicitly mentioned. This is a Cisco shop, in case the implementation matters. Some points below.

  1. The web-fw, web-sw, and cor-fw are all in the same subnet.
  2. The cor-sw is connected to the cor-fw only.
  3. The web-sw is the RP.
  4. As you see in the masked output, the two firewalls are configured for PIM BiDir but the switches are not, b/c BiDir PIM was enabled, but not configured.

When I do a show ip mroute on the RP, I see a lot of (S,G) entries rather than strictly (*,G) entries as would be expected of BIDIR-PIM (from what I understand).

Edit: We are doing BIDIR-PIM (or tried to, at least) b/c we have lots of senders/receivers.



No comments:

Post a Comment