Thursday, September 26, 2019

I feel like this is a dumb question... (Cisco 3750/3850 Management as L2)

So - my Cisco experience is typically with a core L3 3750/3850 etc... spinning up L3 SVIs and then connecting trunks to L2 switches and tying an IP of a management VLAN to one of the L2 switches for remote ssh etc...

Now - here's my situation, Fortigate (handling L3 and vlan interfaces) I have two unifi switches currently, strictly as a L2 device... HOWEVER , they have IP's tied to a "mgmt vlan" on the FG. For instance, on FG, VLan 100 = 192.168.1.1/24 ,. so on UniFi, I have the DEVICE mgmt vlan as VLAN100, and an IP of 192.168.1.2 or w/e .

Now - here's where I'm confused in my logic. I am replacing these UniFi's with a stack of 3750x's- primarily for stack power and stack capabilities. Unifi isn't going to cut it here... I don't need the L3 routing capabilities so I'll be using them without IP routing. BUT - in order for me to have SSH capabilities and an IP on these switches for management... How do I go about it? If I :

int vlan 100

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

That's basically saying ok this switch is the master of this INT and they'll clash, right?

How can I just add an IP for mgmt purposes and let the FG control the SVI?

I'm not used to doing Cisco deployments this way so I'm confusing myself.

Hope my explanation is clear!

Cheers



No comments:

Post a Comment