Thursday, September 26, 2019

I feel like this is a dumb question... (Cisco 3750/3850 Management as L2)

So - my Cisco experience is typically with a core L3 3750/3850 etc... spinning up L3 SVIs and then connecting trunks to L2 switches and tying an IP of a management VLAN to one of the L2 switches for remote ssh etc...

Now - here's my situation, Fortigate (handling L3 and vlan interfaces) I have two unifi switches currently, strictly as a L2 device... HOWEVER , they have IP's tied to a "mgmt vlan" on the FG. For instance, on FG, VLan 100 = 192.168.1.1/24 ,. so on UniFi, I have the DEVICE mgmt vlan as VLAN100, and an IP of 192.168.1.2 or w/e .

​

Now - here's where I'm confused in my logic. I am replacing these UniFi's with a stack of 3750x's- primarily for stack power and stack capabilities. Unifi isn't going to cut it here... I don't need the L3 routing capabilities so I'll be using them without IP routing. BUT - in order for me to have SSH capabilities and an IP on these switches for management... How do I go about it? If I :

​

int vlan 100

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

That's basically saying ok this switch is the master of this INT and they'll clash, right?

​

How can I just add an IP for mgmt purposes and let the FG control the SVI?

​

I'm not used to doing Cisco deployments this way so I'm confusing myself.

​

Hope my explanation is clear!

Cheers



No comments:

Post a Comment