Saturday, September 14, 2019

First Timer: Installed Unifi 48-port POE Switch

Hi everyone. This is my first Reddit post. I have no formal training in networking but have picked some things up in my last 6 months as the Network Admin for a large nonprofit. I inherited a solid system but as our program grew my predecessor added these 8-port Toughswitches and...well, wires everywhere and finally just had no place to add any more POE devices.

So today I installed a 48-port POE Unifi switch and tried my best to clean it up a little bit. The left picture is before, the right picture is after.

From the top:

1/2: Sigmamax patch switch (phones, copiers, etc.)

3: Intellinet patch switch (phones, copiers, etc.)

4: Unifi 48-port POE switch

5: Unifi 24-port Edgeswitch

6: Unifi 24-port Edgeswitch

7: Peplink router/VPN

8: Grandstream phone switch

9: A controller and, behind it, some devices on a shelf

I wanted to post this for two reasons: (1) show my first install & share how proud I am of myself and (2) ask for feedback.

It took me 4 hours to do this job. Now it's 10 times easier to maneuver cables but I'm sure there's lots of room for improvement. Such as those cables I hid between rows 7 & 8 - these cables came from other places that I couldn't connect to a patch panel. Without spending any money on cosmetic accessories, was there a better way to arrange those cords? Any other advice for a newbie?

Network switch install picture



No comments:

Post a Comment