Monday, September 16, 2019

Consultants want to push Cisco Meraki switches/routers on us

I work for a company and mainly a Cisco shop using a mix of 2960S, X, 3560C, 3650, 3850, and 4500x switches with a lot of Gen 2 ISRs. Our IT budget has been fairly small for the size of the org and management has mainly cheaped out on us. They’ve recently hired a consultant who is starting to push Cisco Meraki at us. We use them for wireless but that’s all right now. I have about 6 years of Cisco CLI experience and I have never had a problem with Cisco other than the usual software bugs and licensing but I’ve heard very mixed reviews about their Meraki line of network switches/routers. I was hoping to upgrade all of our access layer to 9200s and out distro/core to 9500s. The idea with the meraki push was to ease up the burden of maintaining network device firmware patching. From experience, the only time I’ve patched firmware on devices was to fix bugs or get newer/more secure features within the firmware. How should I react to this? Any counter arguments to why Cisco Meraki isn’t or is a better way to go? For instance, licensing is expensive with Meraki from what I know. With Catalyst platform, I wouldn’t be subject to licensing (we use mainly IP base/LAN base on all of our access layer stuff).



No comments:

Post a Comment