Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Constant Network Packets age'ing out. User's lose internet access.

I am a bit confused by this one. For about a month now users at a remote site complaining that at various times of the day they cannot connect to the internet. It's honestly incredibly frustrating to work through.

To start, this issue never hits everyone at once. It's a group of users here, an hour later it's an access point, then an execs computer. It's been frustrating to troubleshoot.

What has been verified so far:

  • My lead network engineer verified the firewall was working properly. And I have to agree with his assessment.

  • Worked with Cisco Tac to troubleshoot our network switches. They were unable to find any issues with switch ports or the switch itself.

  • Users are still connected to the network on the network on the lan side. When the issue crops up I can ping the user's machine from the firewall/switches lan side.

  • DHCP pool is on the firewall. And it has no issues giving out leases to users. We're nowhere near capacity with our IP Address leases. And even when the users have internet issues the firewall will still assign a DHCP address to them.

  • Access points are Meraki cloud-managed. They also lose access to the cloud and are usually reported they are down. Should mention that they aren't actually down. And users can connect to the LAN side. Users just cannot access the internet.

  • During the time these issues are reported I can still log into the switches to manage them. And from the switch, I can ping our local DNS/AD server.

At this point the only thing I haven't done is speak with the ISP (which is next). But I was hoping I could get some insight from /r/networking. This one is slightly driving me up a wall.

Thank you for your help/advice.



No comments:

Post a Comment