Thursday, August 8, 2019

Virtualizing an Entire Enterprise Network

Was recommended I post here from r/virtualization

I'm a recently hired network technician at a university that has 8 different campuses across the state and I belong to a team of two: myself and my boss, the school network engineer. I'm pretty new to the field, so most of my tasks have involved troubleshooting/setting up IP phones and occasionally helping to troubleshoot a network issue. I plan to take my CCNA exam in the next couple of weeks and once I pass, I want to buckle down and become much more familiar with the entire network that we manage. I'm starting to already by drawing it up in Visio with the limited access I have, but I thought a really interesting project would be to virtualize/emulate the entire network in GNS3. This would allow me to not only learn a lot more about our network, but the end product could potentially be used as a test environment for any future changes we make in the future once up and running. I also plan to learn SDN with Python in this environment.

What hardware would be best for a project like this? Would I need something like a server with a hypervisor to run 8 different instances of GNS3, one for each campus? Or would I be a be better off clustering 8 Raspberry Pi's with one instance of GNS3 each? We have around 180 total switches we manage and the most one campus has is 51 devices. If I'm posting this in the wrong subreddit, please let me know and I'll ask my question elsewhere.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment