Saturday, August 10, 2019

Upgrade to 802.11ax (WiFi 6) via firmware possible?

I want to upgrade my network equipment (because I want PoE for a Raspberry Pi cluster), with that upgrade I would like to include WiFi 6 and WPA3. MikroTik seems to be a brand that offers enterprise level software (includes network features such as QoS, VLAN, OpenVPN, but also MPLS) on decent hardware.

So I'm wondering, if I would buy this router, or any router that supports 802.11ac, would such a router be able to get an upgrade to support 802.11ax? Or are there special hardware requirements for 1024-QAM and the antennas? I really don't want to delay this purchase, so I'm interested if an upgrade to WiFi would be possible through a firmware upgrade rather than a hardware upgrade. Most of the stuff I came across on the web point out that WiFi 6 routers are available and soon there will be more... But no details on existing routers.

I'm also open to other suggestions in terms of a fancy router with PoE, VLAN, QoS, and CLI. With preferably an open-source OS and active community that supports and helps develop it. MikroTik seems to be the one though...



No comments:

Post a Comment