Thursday, August 8, 2019

SonicWall FW & Edge Router for Home Network Question

I've been using an Edge Router as my DHCP server and have an Ethernet cable in the WAN port from my ONT. I've recently got a SonicWall TZ400 from work. I'm still new to the FW concept and what not so I've decided to utilize the TZ400 in my house to learn it.

Here's where I'm stuck and can't seem to figure out. I can't decide which device to use as the DNS and DHCP server. Since I can unplug the Ethernet cable from the Edge Router and plug it into the FW's WAN, I'm also not sure what I should have the Internet go into. Should I continue to use the Edge Router as a DHCP/DNS Server to not bog down the FW's CPU? Should I take the Edge Router out of the equation or I can just turn it into a switch. If I were to use both devices (if it benefits the network), Should I have the Internet go into the Edge Router first or the FW? If anyone can provide some insight or your thought process, it'd be appreciated. Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment