Thursday, August 15, 2019

Sanity check for looking at jobs requiring certs.

Just need a small sanity check. I’ve been working in IT for about 10 years now. No formal education, have a bachelor in something else. Was lucky enough to move from help desk out of college to a better job via a recommendation(sysadmin of a state university, 5000+ people). Was recommended by a friend after that to a start up (great timing, great series C funding, 100 mil+ and now as things go, slowly tanking) and have been there for four years as a network engineer. Watched it grow from 20 employees to 160.

Looking to finally jump ship by my own free will (before I’m laid off and forced to) and find a stable career path that could support a future family if I were to have one. I’m very happy with my current salary (~100k) but wonder if the general nature of a start up has inflated this. My stock is vested and very cheap if we were to get bought out.. so not worried on missing on that.. just looking for stability in the future.

All the jobs I’ve been looking at have required at the bare minimum a CCNA. I’ve been so busy working I’ve never thought to go down the cert path but it seems it’s time I might need to do that. I’m very comfortable with routing protocols, managing multi site VPNs, automation (python) etc. Great with Juniper stuff. Physically I’ve built out / designed server rooms / data closets etc (don’t want to give away too much what I do to coworkers that lurk this subreddit). My only fear is that I don’t have the time to study before the layoffs will happen. I’m digging in now just to get started regardless and it’s all going fast, but it does take a few months to get the memorization of all the rote stuff down again.

I only ask because I’ve never gone into a job search not already having networked myself in there. A lot of my coworkers seem to have ideas about jumping as well, but it’s hard to work with them for connections as it’s very sensitive with our current work culture to talk about it.. don’t want to show my hand and risk getting let go early.

I'm totally ready to start at the bottom again.. but have gotten spoiled by a salary that has always felt too much to me. Probably fakers syndrome.. but can't shake the worry.

I assume job experience and recommendations will get me over the hurtle, but is it commonly cut and dry.. if you don’t have the certs you’re passed over? I’m 30 now but don’t have the experience of the actual dreaded “job search” to call on.

This might need to go to another sub but I’ve always had good luck with advice given by you guys.



No comments:

Post a Comment