Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Novice/silly question - Need a hub but only have a Cisco switch

Working on a home project and not a network guy so sorry for the dumb question.

Typically I'd use a hub for what I want to do. I want to sniff packets then interogate a device for open ports.
Now I know how to do all this with a nice dumb hub but I only have a cisco switch (2960) to hand.

I was about to setup a monitor port on my cisco switch to have a look at traffic going between two units using wireshark but then I realised that I can only listen (thus not beable to inerogate). I've started googling about and my guessing is leading me towards bridging but I thought that it knows who and what it's sending to (like a switch). Am I on the right track here or should I be looking at something else?



No comments:

Post a Comment