Friday, August 9, 2019

Need advice for a free NMS

Hi /r/networking

Anyone caring to share any free NMS software with me. I am more interested in Monitoring rather than Managing, although that's a welcoming feature too.

My key needs are:

  • Topological Availability - Basically a MAP/Topology showing me the device's health signs/availability. Crucial as the MAP will represent the physical connectivity.
  • SNMP - Something that'll give me information for the node objects.
  • Basic "health signs" in case where a device does not have SNMP, something that polls/pings the device through IP in a regular basis.

So far, my research uncovered more "Application Monitoring" systems, which have way too many features that i dont need and unfortunately all the monitoring solutions seem to dedicate a lot of UI in that direction.

Last monitoring software i used was WhatsUp Gold, but it seems to have changed drastically. I remember using v14, which looks completely different to the current ones. I know it's not a free option, but anything that looks similar to that functionality would be fantastic.

I've looked at solutions like Nagios, Zenoss, Zabbix, but it looks like something none of my workers would dare to go for due to the complexity of adding a single node to an existing group.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the network consists of various brands.



No comments:

Post a Comment