Thursday, August 8, 2019

Looking for advice on transition from operations to project work

Hi /r/networking,

I hope this doesn't violate the rules re career advice, as I consider this a close-to-senior-level (more intermediate) career question.

I have been in networking for about 4 years now, IT in general for about 6 years, working for an MSP in an exclusively operations-focused role.

I've been lucky to get some great experience and mentoring in my time at my current company, but for many reasons I think it's time for a change.

I am being offered a job at a much smaller (think more than 10x smaller), more focused (no VAR, slowly building managed services practice, lots of project/design/implementation work) consulting company. They are offering an appropriate pay bump that reflects the increase in the complexity of the day-to-day work.

Most people on their team of network consultants have much more experience (closer to 20 years just in networking), but they are all friendly and approachable people and from visiting with them it is clear they have a good culture going.

I guess my question is; at what point did you make the jump from operational 'keep the lights on' work to a design/implementation-centric role? What was the transition like? I see no opportunities to sharpen my skills in design and implementation in my current role, so I figure the best way to enter the next chapter of my career is to make the leap with this new company.

Any and all advice is appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment