Thursday, August 15, 2019

Is networking engineering getting kinda old.

I'm not calling you guys old, just experienced. This isn't intended to be discriminatory in anyway

I feel like I started in IT rather early (20) and for the past 7 years I've consistently been the youngest person on any of my network teams, the majority of my seniors are usually 38+ and I've scarcely run into any younger folks getting into networking, everyone is devops, programming and virtualization/cloud.

Like i've heard of age discrimination in programming and software dev, but never once in Neteng. I feel like because networking is such a slow moving piece of IT infrastructure(older protocols, manual input, limited autonomy etc) it doesn't really attract alot of youth since it isn't "sexy" per se. I kinda see us as civil engineers or road construction, building the bridges/roads that keep everything running smoothly but that takes months to complete.

Sometimes I wonder how this will affect the field in the future, will we see a mass retiring of Neteng in 10-20 years and companies having trouble because everyone knows abstraction but not the fundamentals.

Once again this is an observation I've personally made and I'd like to see if anyone else has similar experiences, This could also be related to my employers.



No comments:

Post a Comment