Saturday, August 24, 2019

Good resources to crash course and really learn networking? Specifically regarding ISP/cloud related networking (firewalls, bgp, vlans, more)?

Networking has not been a strong point of mine over the years. I've primarily been a desktop tech / Jr. Sysadmin in companies that had separate, dedicated network engineers or teams. I've got the fundamentals of stuff from server, like DHCP, general IP subnetting, DNS, etc. But I recently took a new job at a colo/cloud company that is tons of networking and I'm feeling a bit out of my depth.

I'm going to be working with firewalls (Cisco and Fortinet), VLANs on said devices, network load balancing, bgp, VPNs, edge routing, router HA, and much more, and this stuff is all way outside my scope of knowledge.

The company knows I don't have all this knowledge, and I was up front about that (my current strengths lie more in the Windows/Linux/VMWare support and management end of things), but I'm doing a lot of training and will have to pick all this stuff up.

What are some good resources (books, videos, courses, whatever) I should pick up to get a better grasp on this stuff from the colocation/cloud/ISP end of things, and broaden my perspective on networking and how the internet as a whole works?



No comments:

Post a Comment