Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Forcing Cisco Switches to use 3rd Party SFPs

We have an older Dell Powerconnect on its last leg so I wanted to swap in a spare Cisco 2960S and in preparation to do that I realize that Cisco does not like 3rd party SFP's (Dell in this case). We are going to order a few cisco SFP's today but it'll be a few days before they come in so I wanted to have the 2960S ready and working if the Powerconnect dies.

I found a few commands to stop the errdisable but they don't seem to be taking, it accepts the command but still downs the port with errdisable. I did 'end' and 'write' after the command but no dice. The other end of this is a Cisco 3570, there is an uplink/SFP setup already that is live to the powerconnect but in the mindset of testing before I swapped the switch I used an free SFP port on the 3750 and popped another Dell SFP in so that I can test the switch before swapping it and ran into the same issue with 2960 and the Dell SFP (errdisable even with the commands run).

SW1(config)#service unsupported-transceiver

Warning: When Cisco determines that a fault or defect can be traced to

the use of third-party transceivers installed by a customer or reseller,

then, at Cisco's discretion, Cisco may withhold support under warranty or

a Cisco support program. In the course of providing support for a Cisco

networking product Cisco may require that the end user install Cisco

transceivers if Cisco determines that removing third-party parts will

assist Cisco in diagnosing the cause of a support issue.

SW1(config)#no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

SW1(config)#

**\*Yes I know this is not an ideal situation and one that I'd rather not implement but if it's either an unsupported configuration or downtime for a handful of uses I'll take the unsupported config (temporarily, until the new SFPs arrive). Ultimately I will swap in the Cisco SFPs in a downtime window once they arrive, but need a way to keep my users online.



No comments:

Post a Comment