Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Data Center Patch Cable Cleanup Advice and Suggestions

This weekend I am going to be embarking upon a small data center patch cable cleanup. It’s only two 42U racks. In a vacuum, I feel like the easiest way to do things is to simply remove all existing patch cables and re-run with appropriate length cables. While this approach is an option, it would be nice to be able to track each cable move so that I can be confident that every device is plugged back into the correct port after it has been managed. The reason for this is that I am not super-duper confident that the administers of the servers effected will be readily available to validate everything post cable move.

I do have full access to all switches so I can validate Mac addresses, arp tables, cdp and such.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or general advice for this type of scenario?



No comments:

Post a Comment