Friday, August 23, 2019

Client not accepting DHCP address

Hi

Got a strange problem here and Google is not giving me answers.

The problem is 100% client related but this is another case of blame the network... but before I hand it over to the devices team I wanted to try my luck here :)

The problem:

Upon booting the notebook, it connects to the SSID correctly, authentication 802.1x via ISE etc is all OK.

In Wireshark I can see the DHCP cycle including the ACK coming in. Our DHCP server (Infoblox) also shows a lease for that notebook but it keeps it's APIPA address. And the notebook starts again, DHCP Discover,...

https://imgur.com/a/aAk9fxV

After 15 to 30 mins the problem is solved by itself. Rebooting the notebook seems to work sometimes too, like 1/10 chances that it pulls through. When the problem is present, switching to the LAN cable doesn't matter, the problem remains.

This is a global problem and I've been able to pinpoint it to notebooks who have the Siemens software (TIA, WinCC, etc) installed and are running Win10 (build 1809 atm). The combo Siemens Win7 is fine but they are getting migrated soon. The problem started about 2 months ago.

On the site I'm troubleshooting I have 270+ clients on that SSID with Win10 but without Siemens software who are working fine.

Things I have tried:

  • ipconfig /release /renew helps 1/5 times
  • Troubleshoot problems from win10 works 2/5 times.
  • Disabled ipv6
  • Assigning a fixed IP resolves the problem
  • Stopped several Siemens services without avail
  • Eventviewer is useless, only event 1001, error 0x79. No indication of other interfering applications or such

It seems to me that some kind of Siemens service/process is disrupting the cycle.

Siemens forums are not really a great resource either.

Any tips, tools you can recommend me?

Thx!



No comments:

Post a Comment