Thursday, August 22, 2019

Cable tester fixes connection problem?

We have a CAT5 cable that runs from the switch through the wall and connects to a printer. One day, the printer went offline. Did some troubleshooting with the cable tester (cheap ones that you get from amazon) and found out that pin1 of the ethernet cable was showing weak signal. I plugged it back in to the printer and the it is back online. Next day, the printer is offline again, I simply pulled the ethernet cable from the printer, connected the cable tester to it, ran through each pins couple rounds, and plugged it back to the printer. The printer is back online. It's not a switch port problem, because on the first day, I changed the port and the printer was still offline. I restarted it, and it was still offline. The only thing I did on the second day was to pull the cable from the printer, stick it in to the cable tester, run though each pins couple rounds and plug it back in. The printer has been going offline randomly ever since, and I simply use the cable tester to put it back online. I'm pretty sure that replacing the cable would fix the problem permanently, but does anyone know why using the cable tester fixes the connection?



No comments:

Post a Comment