Tuesday, August 13, 2019

BT Homehub 5, flashing OpenWrt using Arduino as USB->Serial?

I recently got a BT Smart Hub as part of my new BT package and was looking into replacing it right away, as it has heehaw control over DNS, DHCP and no matter what I do, there always some issue with OpenVPN.

I'm broke as hell this month, so I can't afford to buy a £20-30 USB->Serial cable. What I do have though, is a dozen or so Arduinos in various flavours and this older hub I can maybe repurpose.

Is it possible to flash OpenWrt using the Arduino as a USB->Serial converter? I quickly Googled it and getting mixed results and frankly, I'm not up to scratch enough to know what to look for, keywords to type from issues that my arise. Basically I have no idea how on earth serial connections work :).



No comments:

Post a Comment