Monday, August 12, 2019

A handful of sites are not accessible but only when accessed via IPv6 (or possibly IPv6 + SSL)

I came across an issue the other day with updating a Raspberry Pi. No matter what I fiddled with on my network, that specific node could not hit the Raspbian download mirrors. Eventually I was able to make it work by disabling IPv6.

Meanwhile, just for the past week or so, a handful of other sites don’t load on my Mac, but inconsistently. None of them have really been important, so I’ve just closed the tab and moved on. In the one case where it mattered, my phone was able to connect when the Mac could not. (My phone also appears to have an IPv6 address.)

Finally, this evening, I was once again fiddling with a Pi and attempted to download an OS image on my laptop. The browser connection either gave me an SSL error or a Timed Out error. OpenSSL’s s_client was able to connect just fine but wget hung the same as the browser. Eventually I discovered that disabling IPv6 at the WiFi configuration level allowed that laptop access to those sites.

The Raspberry Pi / Raspbian sites appear to be the primary affected endpoints but as I said, there are others that I haven’t been as affected by so haven’t kept track of...

What am I missing here? Is this my network? My ISP? It’s driving me crazy.



No comments:

Post a Comment