Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Websmart switch and mac address table

Hello genius networkers of reddit. I am a sysadmin in need of assistance.

I have been given a job to document the entire network of one of our clients. It is a site where there are multiple cooks in the kitchen. One of those cooks used Websmart switches to connect security cameras to the network (PoE cameras). I need to match the camera mac addresses to the switch port that they are connected to. Unfortunately these switches do not show the mac address or arp tables with the web ui. They /might/ have a remote span function I could leverage. But I only learnt about remote span last night during ccna studies. Switch model I'm currently viewing is Allied Telesis AT-GS950/16PS, but there are a bit of a collection of others.

Does anyone know of an easier way I can match mac addresses of connected clients to their switch port in this situation?

My best option right now seems to go back onsite, take a cisco switch along, and move plugs so I can use the cisco to document the mac addresses before moving the plugs back to the smart switch. I'd rather not cause that level of disruption if I can help it.



No comments:

Post a Comment