Monday, July 1, 2019

Warm up Network Jack

Hi Guys!

tl;dr

I have a -40 freezer and need a way to warm up network jacks so I can unplug the Ethernet cable without shattering the brittle network jack, the cable is fine after unplugging, it's the actual port itself that breaks

I have a freezer that is -40 degrees (Celsius and Fahrenheit). We have network jacks inside where APs are plugged into. One AP went down. We have not determined yet what is bad, the AP, cable, or jack. If the problem lies with the cable I'll need to unplug it. I have unplugged a cable from a previous jack and the jack essentially "exploded" from being brittle due to the cold (the plastic and the contacts).

I need some way to warm this jack up to let me unplug the cable without destroying it.

If there isn't a device out there, I would need to make something, a couple thoughts I had:

  • Find a Large Funnel and stick a hair dryer in the smaller part, then place the large opening over the wall jack. Hopefully it wont melt the funnel!
  • Cut a whole in a plastic box and use a hair dryer

If there is some other kind of heat source I can put in, it wouldn't need an opening, just need to make sure the heat source isn't able to melt the jack or the container it's going to be in.

Hopefully there is something more professional or somebody has an idea that would be easier / more efficient!



No comments:

Post a Comment