Friday, July 5, 2019

To leave current position or stay

Hi all

I am in a bit of a dillema and would like to see how other people in the networking world think about tackle these things.

I have been a network analyst at a global firm now for 3 years and a senior within the team for almost a year. Prior to starting here I worked at a couple of ISP NOCs for less than a year doing 1st line (foot in the door type roles).

In my current position our team is responsible for all network infra within the estate and it's a mix of support and projects. I have learned a ton here about how enterprises operate and learned things outside of networking that have definitely enhanced my skillset. Since I have been here I have identified and resolved a bunch of issues and delivered some significant projects hence the senior promotion.

The thing is, I am not really liking where I am now and don't see where the future progression is. We have an architect in another country who is quite frankly not very good and I feel like my network skills are going to atrophy in the long term if I stay. Most of my work now is admin related and project management, and people generally don't seem to really care about making things great.

I have been presented with an opportunity to work for a global MSP where the office is located 5 minutes from my house. The pay is 5k less than what I am on and the role is advertised as 1st/2nd line but I feel it could open up more opportunities in the mid to long term with progression to different teams etc. Has anyone made a similar jump in the past and if so was it the right move? My main motivation is to have more fulfilment which includes spending more time with my family.

EDIT

I should note that my long term plan is to become a consultant but the short term is to spend more time with my young kids while having some interesting work to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment