Thursday, July 11, 2019

Show ARP / Show Mac Address-Table - Not listing correct results

I'm not sure I'm doing something incorrectly, however, I'm not receiving the results I was hoping for.

I was recently in a situation trying to track down a rogue IP that was not listed in our documentation. We'll assume it was 10.0.0.10. I was able to ping the IP and verify that it was up.

I connected to the switch I assumed this device was on, which was a Cisco 2950G. If I type show arp, I see a small list of other IP addresses that are on the same network as the management IP for this switch.

The switch does have roughly 25 other VLANs configured on it. I next tried "sho arp vlan 123" in an attempt to list the arp contents for that VLAN, which did not work.

Does the sho arp command only work if the entire switch is on the same subnet?

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment