Thursday, July 11, 2019

Show ARP / Show Mac Address-Table - Not listing correct results

I'm not sure I'm doing something incorrectly, however, I'm not receiving the results I was hoping for.

​

I was recently in a situation trying to track down a rogue IP that was not listed in our documentation. We'll assume it was 10.0.0.10. I was able to ping the IP and verify that it was up.

​

I connected to the switch I assumed this device was on, which was a Cisco 2950G. If I type show arp, I see a small list of other IP addresses that are on the same network as the management IP for this switch.

​

The switch does have roughly 25 other VLANs configured on it. I next tried "sho arp vlan 123" in an attempt to list the arp contents for that VLAN, which did not work.

​

Does the sho arp command only work if the entire switch is on the same subnet?

​

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment