Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Routing Nightmare

Hello all. Recently got my CCIE R&S, so I know all of the routing protocols very well. I recently came to a new company and they have the biggest routing nightmare that I've ever seen. They're running OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, IS-IS, have a TON of static routes, and PBR implemented in random places. And, redistribution between them and lots of sub-optimal routing because of loss of metrics with redistribution including static/connected redistribution into almost every routing protocol. My goal is to clean this network up and get to a single routing protocol (BGP, and maybe OSPF or EIGRP for an underlay). Almost every device in the network has static routes pointing traffic in different directions. My first goal was to draw out the routing boundaries, so I've done that. My next thought was to immediately work on shrinking the number of routing protocols. That has became a challenge because of the mixed redistribution everywhere and static routes in lots of places overriding the dynamic protocol. I'm sort of leaning toward eliminating as much static as possible instead as my first steps.

My question is: have you dealt with something like this before and what was your attack strategy?



No comments:

Post a Comment