Friday, July 5, 2019

Role of a Server

I have been freelancing, and have been in corporate support roles for quite a while. I've set up a few routers and switches, know some linux, and a lot of windows.

One of my clients has 2 offices and they have a working linux server in one, and another that is not fully set up. The offices are about 50 miles apart. The staff uses mostly windows and a few linux clients.

They utilize network shares, and both offices can see all the shared folders, and can access only ones that they are allowed to. Each user gets a mapped network drive as they log in to the windows client.

I don't know much about the role of the server. I suspect that it's performing at least 2 major functions: mapping drives and setting permissions. What do most people do when they set up a linux server with windows and linux clients?



No comments:

Post a Comment