Monday, July 22, 2019

Refurb Cisco 3650 vs Ubiquiti US-48-750W for remote sales office

I've held a variety of jobs in IT over the past several years. Currently I run support and deployment operations for a startup. My team and I also play internal IT on the side.

I'm looking to set up a remote sales office. The topology isn't that complex, just a few VLANs with inter-VLAN routing handled on the PFSense stack. They will have 10-15 employees, using softphones, connecting cell phones, etc.

I've always personally been a fan of refurb Cisco gear. Cisco gear runs like a tank. I've seen those switches running over ten years without reboots or problems. My theory with a refurb Cisco 3650 is I can get them for $150. God forbid if it blows up I can just have a hot spare on standby ready to go with a process describing how to swap over.

The other alternative is a Ubiquiti US-48-750W. I'm not the biggest fan of "cloud managed" switches (yes I get it's local). Also for what I need (VLANs and that's it) it's overkill. I think the benefit of the hot spare is more beneficial vs a new switch.

My question is performance given a ten year old switch. I mean as far as I'm aware the Cisco is overkill even for today's standards. Remember this is just switching and maybe L3 down the road.

I've covered all my bases as far as "what if shit hits the fan". I already got a racked PC spec'd which will hold a public IP connected to the consoles. In the event of a catastrophic failure I can have them turn on the PC.

Would like your take!

Edit: The Cisco is a WS-C3560G-48PS-S not a 3650. Typo...



No comments:

Post a Comment