Wednesday, July 10, 2019

P2P wifi between buildings as a backup to fiber

We have a few buildings on campus, all within 1000', all with direct line of sight and all pulling less than 1Gbps of traffic. We have multiple fiber links to each building but they all run through the same conduit. It seems like having a point to point wireless connection between the buildings would be cheap secondary connection for insurance.

I'd want to run over the public spectrum so I dont have to deal with getting a license from the FCC. I see Ubiquiti makes some cheap products for under $100, their nanobeam and litebeam bridges. What am I overlooking here? This seems like a cheap and easy way to get connectivity but I don't hear of people doing it too often. Would there be any additional ways to secure this rather than the typical wifi practices?



No comments:

Post a Comment