Saturday, July 6, 2019

Learning SQL

Posting here instead of other subreddits because I feel it's most appropriate, and I think I'll get answers I'm looking for in this subreddit.

I got a former employer that contacted me to return back to help manage their IT systems. When I was an employee there I wasn't in IT, I left there(on good terms) to pursue an IT career a bit less than 2 years ago. It is a small company, under 100 employees, but the business they do relies almost entirely on the IT infrastructure. Currently I'm a junior sysadmin, and I have fundamentals in networking(have a CCENT, getting CCNA soon), and on the job Server 2008/2012 knowledge. I have hands on experience working with switching closets and know the basics of handling server and networking hardware.

I spoke to the IT person departing the job for a different position, and he said that about half of his workload is doing SQL queries. I have very little experience in coding languages(dabbled a little in college), but I'm not intimidated by it at all. They're also talking about switching buildings in the next year or two, so I think gaining experience in setting up IT infrastructure would be beneficial.

However, my passion is networking technologies. I've been working towards being a network admin/engineer, and at least knowing the fundamentals of microsoft servers. I also understand that sql is part of Microsoft(I guess more specifically, MSSQL, which it sounds like that's what they use.) I'm asking, if what I do learn about SQL would apply later in my later networking career? I can see at least knowing the fundamentals of database would help me prove that a problem isn't networking related, but what other applications could I use SQL knowledge with the new networking technologies that are coming up? Thanks in advance



No comments:

Post a Comment