Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Juniper Route Preference Best Practices

I come from the land of Cisco. I'm venturing into the land of Juniper. I've got two Juniper MX20 routers doing OSPF with the other devices in my network. These two routers are in an active/backup type setup. I've then got links to customers hanging off these two routers (eBGP). Basically, connecting my network to customers (extranet type setup). I've noticed that one router will redistribute all it's BGP routes into OSPF and the other device will then favor these because in Juniper land OSPF is treated better than eBGP on the route preference/Admin Distance scale. As opposed to Cisco that treats eBGP over OSPF.

There's 1000 ways to skin this cat. I don't know which way is the least headaches and best results. Also what most people are doing in other places (so if someone new comes in, they understand).

Is it, change the route preference on the routers so that eBGP is favored over OSPF? Or is it to create a policy so that any routes in my from-customers IP list, don't get accepted back into the routing table?



No comments:

Post a Comment