Friday, July 19, 2019

FirePOWER administration

Hi Guys,

I work at a relatively small company so each of the IT staff members has multiple responsibilities. Mine include network administration, but I cannot commit more than one day a week to it, so I am not really a skilled network admin.

Anyway, as someone responsible for networking I was tasked a couple of years ago to deploy FirePOWER on top of our ASA firewalls to give us more security and visibility into the network. I managed to install the VM and SFR modules to all the firewalls and configure everything with the help of official documentation, ITPRo TV video series and a book. It has been working without big issues since, I keep updating the software, definitions, rules and recommendations.

But making it work is one thing, and actually using it for what it is intended to is another. I mostly rely on Cisco recommendations when it comes to which rules to enable, and which should drop traffic. When I look at the list of "intrusion events" from time to time and actually analyse them I mostly see false positives. Attacks related to Apache on the servers not running Apache at all. Servers flagged as infected with CnC that as far as I can tell are not infected with anything.

​

So my question here is... are there any resources to help me manage this properly? Ideally FirePOWER related, but could also be more general resources that I could apply to FirePOWER.

​

Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment