Friday, July 12, 2019

CISCO RANT - ISE ERS API

RANT:

​

Okay, so finally got my python script to work to add new devices to ISE with TACACS using the ERS API. So that is cool (thanks for anyone that helped in a previous post), and I decide to turn on CSRF Tokens for added security because you know security is important and what not (Also seemed like a good challenge to enhance my coding knowledge).

​

WELL:

​

I was able to get the CSRF token and have python parse for it and pass it from the dictionary into a variable. I used this variable to pass it in the HTTP header when using POST, because CUD(POST, UPDATE, DELETE) requires you to have the CSRF token to push the code to prevent a CSRF attack. Well turns out that this can't even work on the release we are on, and in fact Cisco does not even have a fix for the bug yet! Bug: CSCvp22075. This is now the second time where Cisco's API documentation was meh and it shows, but at least someone else ran into the bug on the community forms.

​

So that begs the question, when will Cisco get good with their ISE API? Oh well, I'll just use the script I originally made and turn off the CSRF option in ISE for ERS until the bug is addressed and a new patch comes out. On to automating some Nexus API stuff (God help me, the NX-OS API better be good) :)

​

For now, I am going to go get a slurpee and back to my NP Route studies..... Damn you Cisco for taking the satisfaction away from me.



No comments:

Post a Comment