Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Cellular router

I'm looking for a low budget cellular router that works from a SIM, meaning, not a USB modem. In my day to day job we use hardened Digi routers for some of our mobile/remote installs and they work great, but I'm working a side job where the budget isn't all that high AND the primary connection doesn't always fail, but when it does, a backup cellular router would be great.

The two features I am looking for are:

  • SIM card slot not USB modem
  • IP Passthrough, where it sends the WAN IP to the downstream device's WAN interface (avoiding double NAT). Digi calls it IP passthrough, others will know it as Bridge Mode. This isn't a must have, but it would be nice.

I do plan on contacting my Digi distributor and asking them for pricing on their lower models, but just in case those are still up there in price, I'd like some recommendations.

I know about cradlepoint, but not sure if they are similar to Digi in terms of needing to deal with a distributor. I've used proxicast, but last time I used proxicast, they didn't have built in SIM slots, their routers had USB slots for USB modems.

I've already spoken to the customer about a second internet connection, I've explained to them that the cost of downtime/their guests being inconvenienced and leaving/etc will cost more than the second ISP connection, while they do agree, they are also not able to get cable, at this time (they are currently running uverse). I know there are small business fiber packages I can get from AT&T (which is different from enterprise fiber), but those costs were a bit too high, at this time, for their budget.

Thanks.

Before submitting this post, I did a quick search for Digi on amazon just to see what is available...I'm going to look into this model a bit more, but this is very affordable especially if it has the same/similar functionality as my current Digi routers (IP Passthrough).

https://www.amazon.com/Digi-TransPort-WR11-XT-Cellular/dp/B07D436YXK/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=digi+gateway&qid=1564023947&s=gateway&sr=8-3



No comments:

Post a Comment