Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Cable packaging and how do we save the earth from single use plastic?

Consultant here, I do a lot of network refresh projects so I'm involved in the plugging in of cables quite a bit.

Every cable comes held down by a couple wire ties, in its own little plastic bag, and then ten of those are in bigger plastic bags. Sure maybe these bags have a little recycling symbol on them, but we all know that our municipalities are just shipping this shit to 3rd world countries for them to burn it or chop it into bits and feed it to the turtles. Whatever it takes to make us feel better about ourselves - yay we're recycling!

So what options do we have to order network patch cables that aren't over packaged? Are any suppliers providing anything like this? Personally I think I'd be okay if my network cables we NOT hermetically sealed at the factory, it isn't like they're going to get cable-herpes just from touching another cable.



No comments:

Post a Comment