Friday, July 5, 2019

All clients not receiving DHCP offers during PXE boot, but have no issues when booting into windows.

First off sorry in advanced for asking yet another WDS question on this thread. But this situation has been plaguing me for months. I need advice.

My environment was recently refreshed with L3 Juniper devices, from Cisco. Since the refresh our deployment services have not worked. Clients are no longer receiving IPs from DHCP. Current config:

  1. 802.1x enabled managed by Cisco ISE

  2. DHCP relay points to DHCP and WDS

  3. DHCP options 66 and 67 have been removed (still have 43 which is required for wireless networks)

  4. Spanning Tree enabled with PortFast equivalent

  5. WDS sits on different subnet than DHCP

  6. Updated DHCP relay with delete-binding-on-renegotiation option

What I've done to troubleshoot:

  1. Disable dotx on the port, enabled sticky Mac. This allowed the client to boot 1 time to WDS. Each time after it fails with same error " No DHCP offers were found". I have a suspicion that after the initial boot the port is binding with something that's fails to process DHCP each boot afterwards.

  2. PXE booted multiple different models (HP, Dell, etc) in both legacy and UEFI.

  3. Added option 66 back to DHCP.

  4. Try booting from multiple VLANS including the subnets as both the DHCP server and WDS.

  5. Updated BIOS on client.

I'm running out of ideas and my sanity. I can definitely narrow it down to an issue with the Network. Consulted with the new vendor but we have yet to find a solution.

My latest theory is that the ports are authenticating quick enough to ISE and the PXE client times out.

Has any one encounter these symptoms? Have you found a solution?



No comments:

Post a Comment