Saturday, June 1, 2019

Weird network behavior when connecting hypervisor

So here's the deal. Yesterday, I transferred my ESXi host into another case that has more 3.5 inch bays. Everything worked great, network and all. I also have a Proxmox host, that was is connected exactly the way it was before the ESXi rebuild.

The weird thing is: when I connect my Proxmox host to my only HP switch, it now indicates a 100Mb/s link (instead of Gb) and my whole network becomes "spotty" when the Proxmox host is connected. By "spotty" I mean:

- I can SOMETIMES ping ESXi host. One minute I can, the other I can't. Seems totally random.

- Meaning that I can also access it via web GUI, SOMETIMES.

- Same behavior with other devices on the network, although it seems like my VMware VM VLAN (so the VLAN with all my VMs) on it, is accessible all the time and not affected by the problem.

- I'm by no means a network expert and I could be using the wrong terminology here, but doesn't this look like packets can't find their way to the right hosts? Like a broadcast storm or something?

- Can't ping Proxmox host, not even directly from my router.

- When I unplug Proxmox host from the switch, everything works like normal.

- Also I wanted to install a second NIC in the Proxmox host, did that, and that's when the problem began. Not sure if that's the cause though because now I'm just back to the one onboard NIC and the problem persists.

- Could be that the second NIC was not working because It's not configured on Proxmox and I can't get to the GUI since I can't access it via the network.

Can someone diagnose my problem? Did my onboard NIC die? Switch settings are the same as before, as far as I know.



No comments:

Post a Comment