Thursday, June 27, 2019

Wanting to take advantage of fiber

Just wanted to know why OS2 seems to be less expensive than OM2. I've been browsing on fs.com.

I do know that OS2 is singlemode and OM2 is multimode.

I'm tasked with looking into fiber as an option to run to 18 barns all connected through a single, indoor walkway. I've been looking at prices and I kept getting prices around $1500 for 350m, 48 fiber cable while the singlemode, same distance and fiber count is only ~$500.

I guess my next question is the longest cable should be close to 700m, the shortest will probably be around 400m, is there a minimum distance with fiber? Could the signal be too "hot" to be reliable? I haven't been able to find an answer to this.

My plan is for the 48 fiber cable to connect in a maintenance closet to a fiber switch. The cable will then run ~330m to a break out box where the fiber pair strands will be split into duplex fiber. Those duplex fiber cables will then go to a PoE switch (PoE swtich will power the APs, I know fiber is in development for PoE (yes, that's actually a thing)) in the center of each barn with 3 or 4 WiFi APs connect to that switch.



No comments:

Post a Comment