Saturday, June 29, 2019

Setting up VLAN trunks for new metro-ethernet provider

Hi,

My company just switched metro-ethernet providers, and naturally once we switched our equipment to their CPE's nothing worked and I have the weekend to figure it out. Our networking guy isn't with us anymore so it falls on me and while I can get by sometimes, VLAN's are something I'm still weak on.

We're on a hub and spoke metro-ethernet network with about 15 satellite site and a hub site, which apparently was all flat before with no vlans. The provider sent me a list of vlans for each circuit so I can set up VLAN trunking but I'm hitting a wall.

Here's our setup: Each satellite site has a router (Ubiquiti edgerouter lites) doing NAT, connected directly to the CPE. The WAN address for each site is the address for its gateway set up in the router at the hub site (PFSense). At the hub site, the CPE plugs into a switch (Ubiquiti Edgeswitch), which the router is also plugged into.

What I've done is created the VLAN's on the switch and tagged them on the ports the CPE and router are plugged into. I've created the VLAN's in the router as well and assigned them to the LAN interface, and I've also tried creating VLAN's on the satellite routers for their WAN interface with their appropriate VLAN ID, but all the sites are still showing as down. What am I missing / screwing up?

Hopefully this doesn't violate any rules - any help is much appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment