Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Noob in the mountains: Recommendations for cellular site survey process to know if a Cradlepoint CBA850 w/ external antennas would be able to offer reliable failover?

I'm helping put together a network plan for a new property in a developing nation for our non-profit. We have a very remote site up on a mountain. No power or internet available for at least 2 more years. I'm planning on a wireless bridge to bring in internet from the city since we have great line of site at just 5km. But I'd really like to have some sort of on-site redundancy/failover. I've had several recommendations for a Cradlepoint unit, but having never used one before I'm having a hard time know if this solution would be the best to approach. There's no satellite internet available currently in this area, and in general prefer to avoid it.

​

But what's the best process for assessing cellular signal and if a Cradlepoint with external antennas would even be beneficial. Are there any tools that could help with this? There is one corner of the property where some staff can get a faint cellular signal, but I'd much prefer to have some sort of data to help support the decision to go this route.

​

Happy to provide more info! Thanks for all the help. And if there's a better place to field this question let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment