Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Noob in the mountains: Recommendations for cellular site survey process to know if a Cradlepoint CBA850 w/ external antennas would be able to offer reliable failover?

I'm helping put together a network plan for a new property in a developing nation for our non-profit. We have a very remote site up on a mountain. No power or internet available for at least 2 more years. I'm planning on a wireless bridge to bring in internet from the city since we have great line of site at just 5km. But I'd really like to have some sort of on-site redundancy/failover. I've had several recommendations for a Cradlepoint unit, but having never used one before I'm having a hard time know if this solution would be the best to approach. There's no satellite internet available currently in this area, and in general prefer to avoid it.

But what's the best process for assessing cellular signal and if a Cradlepoint with external antennas would even be beneficial. Are there any tools that could help with this? There is one corner of the property where some staff can get a faint cellular signal, but I'd much prefer to have some sort of data to help support the decision to go this route.

Happy to provide more info! Thanks for all the help. And if there's a better place to field this question let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment