Thursday, June 13, 2019

No Documents....

Hey peeps,

So looking for a little advice, I started a network engineer position Tuesday, and i'm a little nervous. On my first day it's become a habit to look for documentation on the network, especially on new things I have yet to really touch, and while looking, SURPRISE! Barely any documentation to be found, the last engineer worked here for 9 years, kept almost everything in his head, and told everyone before I got here that "documentation wasn't his thing, and any engineer who can't put it together isn't worth his salt". So here I am, wild goose chase trying to find switch, router, vpn, vlan ip's, ranges and information, phone numbers, and everything else all while trying to figure out the new monitoring tools, firewalls, and vpn's i will be working with. I'm confident I can pull everything together with a lot of google, and so far days of investigating and looking into every switch and router i've come across, but i'll be lying if i said I wasn't nervous and a bit overwhelmed, because this isn't a small company. I think this turned into more of a rant, but any advice on ways to make this smoother would be greatly appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment