Wednesday, June 12, 2019

New NOC/microdatacenter where animal cages used to be?

Yeah, I can't believe the title either. I work at a college and one of our science buildings has been replaced with a newer/better one. That leaves, you guessed it, the basement vacant. This is where they kept animal cages for scientific experiments. Rats, mice, fish, etc. There are floor drains, lots of overhead plumbing and wash stations. There is a separate HVAC for the area because the fresh air cannot be shared with the classrooms above. There is no redundant fiber path to the building, which needs to be built anyway as well as added fiber.

And yet, it has been proposed that we could put a NOC for our secondary internet connection, border gateway, possibly our backup firewall, and possibly a micro-datacenter with some server backup appliances here. It is adjacent to a major road so it would be easy to get our secondary internet connection moved to that building. There is an elevator, but no loading dock, so hauling a rack full of gear will never happen.

So what kinds of defense should I use here? I think this is a really bad idea, but my CIO is more big picture and is very hard to talk down once they think they have a good idea. Are there health concerns, safety hazards, anything I could reference in best practice small datacenter builds? I think we would only be talking about one rack worth of stuff max... I think.... who knows what other schemes are in place.

Appreciate the help, wonderful comrades.



No comments:

Post a Comment