Thursday, June 27, 2019

Needing help diagnosing latency issues

Hello everyone. I've got a strange issue I've never ran into and nobody I've reached out to has been able to help me. We connect to an application hosted on a remote server for a big portion of our work. I noticed the other day that people were having a lot of connectivity issues. I pinged the server and got super high (1200-1500ms at times) numbers, so naturally I assumed it was on the hosting side for that server, but then I started pinging random website/ips and noticed this type of latency issue with the server in question, and basically anything I try to ping. The network is ~100 devices. Windstream ISP/modem, PFSense router that I put in place myself to replace a Cisco ASA when this issue first started (just trying to see if it would make any difference). As far as browsing the web goes, we never have any issues, and download speeds are stable and good. Local network traffic works fine.

Windstream says it's something to do with our hardware. One tech came out and plugged into the modem directly, pinged sites and got good numbers, but it sometimes takes a hundred or two packets to see anything out of the ordinary.

Is there any way I can try to determine the cause with tools like PFSense and Wireshark and the like? I've been looking into it all I can with ntopng, Wireshark, etc and I just don't think I know what to look for. I'm going to attempt repeating the test the Windstream tech did because I don't understand why our hardware would be causing this. The only thing I can think of is maybe a machine is infected and randomly spiking our bandwidth so high that the network lags? I don't know!

Any insights? I very much appreciate it!



No comments:

Post a Comment