Thursday, June 6, 2019

Massive RE-IP effort. Curious to see others input on how to start.

So, i'll try to make this as short as possible while giving as much details.

We are underway of starting a large Re-IP effort for both v4 and v6 blocks. I won't get into the why's, but unfortunately, it has to be done. I'm going to use one block as an example. This is one v6 block out of about 50, and v4 is not quite as large but still large. We had our first discussions of how we will tackle this as a team yesterday, but I want to get a jump on it and wanted to get some input from all of reddit land.

Lets say we have a v6 block of 2001:1:2:3:4:5::/96. These are used for all loopback addresses. Obviously, not ever IP is in use. We have an IPAM app that is used to allocate IP's from a documentation point of view. Should be about 99% accurate. The thing is, our manager is asking for the following info (again, we have different block types, so not just loopbacks).

1) What devices it lives on

2) Interface Description

3) Block Size

My initial thought is to write a script. I wouldn't even know where to start though. I should break this down into manageable tasks, but still a bit overwhelming. Using the example, my first thought would be to do a ping sweep on that block. That's a boat load of v6 /128's.

I'm a bit lost. Any direction or recommendations would be appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment