Thursday, June 20, 2019

I got to go inside AT&T’s Yosemite Valley Central Office today.

TLDR: When an AT&T tech asks you if you would like to use the restroom inside the Central Office, you take that opportunity.

I am a Network Engineer for a 110 branch public library system in Central California, this includes having two branches in Yosemite National Park. One of the branches is on the valley floor hidden away in a residential area; most people miss it and it’s not open on the weekends as it mostly services park employees. I was there today with two AT&T techs working on bringing up a new T1 line. We ended up leaving the site without the new T1 working due to a screw up on AT&Ts end. The new circuit was installs long enough ago that someone took it down because it didn’t have a router connected to make it active.

On the way out the door one of the AT&T techs said he was going to drop by the CO to use the restroom and gave me an offer to use it as well. I could not pass up this offer and I purposely ignored the fact that the little Yosemite library does have a restroom. The CO was right down the road so it was a short walk.

The CO was bigger than excepted and of course you wouldn’t know what the building was if you walked right by it. Yosemite Valley is so remote that everything: T1s, POTS lines, DSL, and cell service are all backhauled up and out of the valley over microwave. No copper trunk lines, no fiber. Most of AT&T’s microwave network was replaced with fiber a long time ago, but not here, the NPS won’t let them run fiber into the park.

It was very cool, I did take pictures but I don’t think AT&T would like me posting them all over the internet.



No comments:

Post a Comment