Saturday, June 1, 2019

Fan Swap on a Noisy HP 1910-24-PoE+ Switch

I was given an HP 1910-24-PoE+ Switch that my work was tossing out after being replaced. Super excited to convert my IoT RPi's over to PoE, I rushed home and plugged it in, but to my dismay I could hear the switch's fans from two rooms over! After a quick Amazon search I found a couple Noctua NF-A4x20's that seemed like a perfect fit. Today I finally got around to swapping them out, and I decided to take some before/after decibel readings with an android app called "Sound Meter." I know it wasn't a super scientific test given that I was in a shed, with mild ambient noise levels, using a cellphone, but what the hell. I placed the phone parallel to the fan exhaust side of the switch, at a distance of two inches away, and averaged the reading over one minute. Despite being outdoors (in my shed) I compared the levels and the transformation was incredible to me. Before the swap I had an average reading of 59db, and after it averaged to 46.3db! Wow! RPi PoE, here I come!

TL;DR - I swapped the fans of my HP 1910-24-PoE+ Switch out with two Noctua NF-A4x20's and quieted the switch by almost 13db!



No comments:

Post a Comment